Sunday, October 27, 2013

Jack and Jill

I don't think I have reviewed enough comedies, so today I thought I would like to continue the trend by reviewing Jack and Jill (which is now on Netflix), a movie that claims comedy status, but really just floats around in the void of cinematic nothingness.  If you are a fan of all things Adam Sandler and all things related to him, and do not like hearing negative criticisms of his projects, then now is a good time to stop reading and write me an email telling me what makes you tick, because I don't understand you.  I do think he has a lot of talent, but it just not seem to push its way into his movies these days.  As I type this review, I plan to talk about one good aspect of the film, and it has nothing to do with Mr Sandler.

The film is about Jack (Adam Sandler), who is a director of commercials.  This is the perfect roll for an Adam Sandler film, as it allows 'seamless' product placement and name dropping, something which I think his films have an affinity towards.  We get to, in totally organic and non-nauseating ways, have planted in our brains the brand names of Hooters, Dunkin Donuts (I lost count of how many times this one was mentioned and is a plot point), Pepto Bismol, Hilton, Sony, Price is Right, eHarmony, Match.com, Subway, Radio Shack, ShamWow, and Royal Caribbean Cruises (who actually get a full length commercial in the film).  He needs to land Al Pacino for Dunkin Donuts, who want to put him in a Dunkin Donuts commercial, and if he fails to get Pacino he loses the Dunkin Donuts account, as threatened by the Dunkin Donuts people.  He also has a sister named Jill (Adam Sandler), whom he plays in such a base and humourless way that I was left astonished at how this got greenlit.  Possibly because his production company made it.

I may be the only person out there who did not find this film funny.  If you are a  fan of such witty humour that includes fart jokes, a bird named Poopsy, animal abuse jokes, laughing at girls with hairy armpits, sweaty sheets and other sweat stain styled humour, making fun of homeless people, ladies getting punched in the face by young boys, making fun of Mexican stereotypes (hey look, a Mexican gardener), making fun of people who are slightly larger than thin/fat people, concussions, crushing a pony, public fart jokes, Indian stereotypes, earwax jokes, urine jokes, making fun of how Mexicans name their children, illegal immigrant jokes (Mexican related), making fun of people with funny faces, elderly people getting hit in the face with shoes and/or bats, Mexicans love jalapenos, gassy stomachs, diarrhea and much louder farts than we have been acquainted with previously in the film, then this movie is a comic gold mine.  For the rest of the population, it is a movie that makes fun of people, and those are the jokes.

Now, I did laugh a few times, and that was mostly around Al Pacino.  He was an extremely good sport, and portrayed a pretty messed up version of himself.  Not only did he go along with it, but he completely threw himself into the role and held nothing back, creating a performance that was entertaining to watch and had some fun in a movie that was otherwise void of humour (actually, I should admit there were two non-Pacino moments that I had a subtle laugh at).  Johnny Depp has a small part as well, and does what he can to make it entertaining.

That's all I have.  If you are looking for something insightful from me, then I need to have insightful content to review.  It is a pretty mean spirited movie that thrives on stereotypes and toilet humour without energy or wit to make it work.  There is nothing smart or touching about this film, although we do get many a moment when the sappy music starts up to let us know that we are supposed to be feeling emotions other than the self-loathing that we are cemented in on account of pressing the play button on this film.  Life is about making the most of our time on this earth, so please spend an hour and a half doing that instead of watching this film.

Rating - 0.5 out of 4 stars

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! You don't HAVE to watch all movies for the sake of the reviews. You could just assume that anyone who cares enough to read insightful reviews has enough insight to judge this as a colossal waste of time simply by watching the trailer. And if they don't, well sucks to be them! Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, you are absolutely right. Every single thing that one needs to know about the film can be seen in the trailers, with the exception of all of the Al Pacino scenes, but those are not exactly a pot of gold, and this movie is not any resembling a rainbow. In short, ya, don't watch it.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.