Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Adam Sandler May Once Again Ruin My Life

And so it sets upon me, emerging from the darkest craters of the streaming landscape and rising high, blocking out the sun, blocking out the very essence of hope, and blanketing my life with an unescapable shadow.  Mortality cannot save me from this fate, a promise of peers, a promise that rests on me the albatross.  Without ability to inhale, all constricts my shell, bringing me down to the bare framework of existence and beckoning my lack of certainty in identity and fate.  I am a victim of that which I have fed myself, the beast that I let loose to destroy and tear asunder.  Weeping and gnashing of teeth...

Yep, it is the time of year to review Netflix's annual Adam Sandler movie, The Week Of.  Ever since he entered into the unholy union with the streaming giant I have had to watch and review a new Adam Sandler film since December 11, 2015.  It kicked off with The Ridiculous 6, which I gave a very rare zero star rating.  The movie did everything it could do to snag that rating, and it wasn't the fist Happy Madison to get the zero star.  Bucky Larson nailed that one.  In 2016, it was the action comedy The Do-Over.  I think it may have had action, but I can assure you that it did not have comedy.  Half star for that one.  And last year it was Sandy Wexler.  While my podcast co-host Christopher gave it a massive two stars (thanks to the performance from Jennifer Hudson, who I agreed was magnetic), I could only be bothered to give this incredibly annoying character, along with Rob Schneider once again giving us a racially stereotypical performance, half a star.  Three films and a cumulative score of one star out of four.

This isn't something new to Netflix.  Sandler has been delivering a mean-spirited brand of comedy for a long time, settling for scripts that make the third Austin Powers movie look like a revelation.  My favourite of his movies lately was Pixels, but we can thank Peter Dinklage for that.  Every now and then we get a reminder that he is actually super talented when he blesses us with performances like he did in Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected).  Leading into the deal with Netflix, Sandler had put out near offensive efforts acting or writing in movies like Jack and Jill, and Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star.

I really don't want to write Sandler off, but he has an absolutely horrid track record.  His films go for the easiest jokes possible, rely on cameos to a level similar to Zoolander 2, insults people who look different, and includes Herculean product placements and advertisements for companies.  I'm not asking for anything sophisticated.  I enjoy goofy humour, but it needs to be based off of something.  It can't just be scenes with kids peeing on things or kids swearing.  That's not a joke in itself, yet Sandler treats it that way.  His sense of humour is so base that native American actors left the set of Ridiculous 6.  It is also the sense of humour that had Schneider in brown face for some reason in that movie.

It could be my own fault that I have to watch and review the latest Sandler movie.  I may have said that all Netflix originals would be reviewed for The Movie Breakdown podcast.  I obviously wasn't thinking about what exactly that would mean at the time.  I want Sandler to prove me wrong.  He has the ability to do so, but he doesn't seem to put forth the effort when an easy stroll is all that's needed to fulfill his obligations.  I must do what I need to, and I hope that I will have a good time.  History tells me that the odds are against me.  I am thinking the run time will make a mockery of me and I will lose part of my sanity in this endeavour.

1 comment:

  1. Adam Sandler's biggest issue lately is that he seems to just not really be trying anymore. Just doing the bare minimum to please his fan base and making sure to find spots for his best friends. I think Netflix's philosophy of quantity over quality or seemingly not caring what their filmmakers do, has led to even worse movies than what he was releasing for Sony. Almost all his Netflix movies feel like there has been no editing and he has created these meandering monstrosities.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.