Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Bring on the New Year

I am normally the person who scoffs at New Year's Resolutions.  Yes, I do scoff.  And sometimes it is followed by a throaty laugh.  So the calendar changes... so what?  We use that as an excuse to tell ourselves that life will be different and we will be making new changes in behaviour and routine that are destined to make ourselves a better version of who we are.  Go to the gym, eat more veggies.  Yes, indulge in all of the common resolutions that are bound to be forgotten by the time Valentine's rolls around.

Well, now it is the time for me to scoff and laugh at myself.  There is something to be said for having a blank slate in front of you, and if it comes in the form of a kitten filled calendar from the local pharmacy, so be it.  This year's kittens represent a hopeful change for me in accomplishing more each day.  It's not that I lack motivation, it is that I lack the natural ability to form proper routine in my day.

Well, there is the type of routine that I excel at.  I pour my coffee first thing without fail.  I also brush my teeth.  While these are noble and to be exalted as jobs well done, they shouldn't be the only definites that inhabit my day.  What I am in need of is a proper use of time that ensures that I am moving forward with what I am hoping will be a career in writing that involves more than just disappointment.  So far I have nailed getting the disappointment, now it is time to nail down success!

I am not going to say that this is the year of everything going well and turning out peaches.  That's beyond my control.  What I am aiming for is a year where I up my game and am more dedicated not just to writing, but to doing all of those darned things that lead towards actually getting something published.  Darned things like making coherent content.  Or, in other cases, darned things like spelling my name correctly in a query letter to an agent.

Calling it a New Year's Resolution is not something that I want to do, but that is essentially what it is.  So far I have rocked 2016 by hitting my daily goals.  That means only I only have to keep up the pace for the remaining 98.9% of the year that is left.  An easily attainable goal if ever there was one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.