Thursday, November 19, 2015

REVIEW - While We're Young

Have you ever felt that age is concrete?  That the years you have walked the earth dictate where you are to fit socially, fashionably, or economically?  I will admit that while I don't always feel that way, there is a pull from societal expectations regarding age that I know I have not lived up to.  I am in my mid thirties (although some would argue and say that I am technically in my late thirties) and currently unemployed.  My wife and I, due to medical reasons, do not have children.  We rent instead of owning a home or condo.

Each of the things that I listed are unwritten expectations for someone of my age to have.  I am not climbing any corporate ladder, or any ladder to be honest.  Not fulfilling these expectations does wonders when it comes to fuelling my already abundant anxiety and stress, letting me know that I am really a failure at my life.

But is that the reality?  On the good days I am able to remember that age is an empirical measure of time, and that is all.  Age need not be the yard line on the field of life to know how far downfield we have come.  Like a football game, it is just a reminder of how much time has elapsed.  The real measuring stick needs to be something more personal and intimate, such as happiness and contentment.

This, the very thing that I am many other people deal with (and why the midlife crisis exists) is explored in Noah Baumbach's film While We're Young.  It follows the characters of Josh and Cornelia, played by Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts respectively.  They are a married couple in their early forties who see constant reminders around them that they are not living the life that they believed they should have had.  Time has passed, and they must come to admit that their chances in life have come and gone.

That is until they meet the young and exciting couple of Jamie (Adam Driver) and Darby (Amanda Seyfried) who entice Josh and Cornelia with a life of spontaneity and energy.  The young couple's love for life reinvigorates Josh and Cornelia, making them forget their age while they act and feel younger.  As with life, reality does catch up eventually, and the older couple must make difficult decisions based on what they realize is truly important to them.

There is a lot that is relatable in this film, which is fresh, fun, and extremely funny.  Baumbach, who previously made the incredibly sincere and heartfelt Francis Ha, shows an understanding of the human nature and is unrepentant about the commentary he makes in regards to age and measures for success and happiness.

The film is anchored by the incredible acting talent that is involved in the four main roles.  Nobody feels out of place, and they completely embody the emotions and nuances that their characters demand from them.  It is another showcase for the up and coming Adam Driver who will be getting some main stage shine when The Force Awaken arrives in theatres next month.  He is capable of hitting the wide spectrum of skills needed, and can easily steal a scene, as he did in Inside Llewyn Davis in the Please Mr. Kennedy scene.

While We're Young is well paced, beautifully scripted, tightly edited, and with a great and flowing soundtrack.  Above and beyond being a technically solid film on all fronts, it is a wonderful reflection on just what age means, and if it should ever be tied to the idea of happiness and success.  It is a piece of work that allows both entertainment and contemplation that is relevant for a wide variety of audiences.

Rating - 3.5 out of 4 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.