Wednesday, April 25, 2018

REVIEW: The Killing of a Sacred Deer



It is nice having storylines in films that we can scrutinize and bite into until we can figure out exactly how things happen and came to be.  But is that really needed?  Can we have a  movie that simply puts something out there and doesn't explain at all how it is even remotely possible?  I would say, yes, absolutely.  Why do we need to understand everything?  Can't a story be considered good even though it intentionally includes unexplainable elements?

In the film, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, director Yorgos Lanthimos instantly establishes that this movie is set in a reality where people talk incredibly monotone and matter-of-factly about everything.  From careers, to puberty, to their quite odd sexual behaviour and stories.  The characters are willing to talk about anything and everything, and they do so as though nothing is a big deal at all.  It does take a while to get used to this.  It created some extremely awkward moments for me, but, ultimately, I enjoyed it.  It was something that was distinct to this film, and it was alright once I got used to it.

As best as I can guess, the purpose of this was to bring people into the world of Martin (Barry Keoghan).  He is a sixteen year old who meets up regularly with a cardiologist, Steven Murphy (Colin Farrell). Martin is an extremely socially awkward character, and his interactions with Steven really show this. What is nice about this film is that there is no judgement on Martin, as Steven and his family treat Martin with care and respect.  The relationship ends up evolving in some dark ways as Lanthimos unveils more about Martin.  Ultimately Martin exerts power over the Murphy family in a way that needs people to just accept the story in the reality in which it is set.  Thinking about it won't help anything.  Just take it for what it is.

There are some tricks employed by Lanthimos that I must admit that I didn't get.  There is twice (unless I missed one) where characters repeat the same word three times.  The first time it happened I didn't put much thought into it, but then couldn't help but notice it in a much more apparent way.  My best guess is that the number three was being used to highlight a decision that Steven had to make, but I am not quite sure I am right about that.  I image that other people would come up with their own interpretations.  Whatever the reason, I'm not sure that it was completely needed.

Leading the cast of actors is the performance by young Barry Keoghan.  His portrayal of Martin is interesting, purposefully irritating, and cryptic.  It is a stand out job, leading the feeling that the whole film is a little off kilter and that everything is awkward, off beat, and a little socially inept.  Farrell does a wonderful job in here as a man who sees his family in trouble and doesn't quite know how to act.  Nicole Kidman plays his wife, Anna, and she carries some of the same traits.

Following the peculiar flow and story of the film is the score.  It does a solid job of instilling the awkward and off kilter reality and story that is created.  There are times, however, when I felt that it was a little too abrasive and did not fit naturally.  It was as though at these points in time the music was trying to carry the heft of the tale, and it didn't sit as well as when the score was merely complimenting what was happening.

This movie would best be categorized as a thriller, but I don't really think it would fit into many moulds easily.  Lanthimos made 2016's The Lobster (also starring Farrell), which carries a reputation for being offbeat as well.  The world that he creates in The Killing of a Sacred Deer is an interesting one, and the nature of some of the conversations does keep the viewer off guard.  Ultimately, I am not sure just how much it was needed.  I am debating over whether it ended up helping or hindering the affects of the story, and I don't know where to land.  That doesn't seem to matter, though.  Through its flaws it is a very unique movie that is capable of leaving an impression on the viewer.

Rating - 3 out of 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Yorgos Lanthimos' 'The Lobster,' which I've seen categorized as both a comedy and drama. He implemented the monotone delivery and the blunt language there as well, but using it that was was really effective in establishing a very different world than the one we know. I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for quite some time, and I'm interested to see if I will like it more or if it just doesn't hold up as strong as his previous movie ('The Lobster' made my top 20 of its year).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.