Thursday, April 19, 2018

Celebrating Director Milos Forman



Just recently, director Milos Forman passed away.  The headlines at first meant nothing to me.  I knew the name rang a bell, but, in that initial moment, I could not figure out what significance the name had.  A cursory look showed me why this death was something to make headlines.  Forman had been a part of numerous Oscar nominated and winning films.  Attached to his filmography are titles such as Amadeus, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Hair, The People Vs. Larry Flynt, and Man on The Moon.

My first introduction to Forman's work was in grade ten, when my sociology teacher showed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to the class.  I was not mature enough to appreciate it fully.  To me, it was just another film, and there wasn't much standing out to me other than the fact that a water fountain is a good tool for an impromptu escape.  I couldn't grasp why this movie was such a renowned and important piece of work.  I also saw Amadeus at a young age and lacked appreciation for it as well.

The film of Forman's that I am most aware of is the Jim Carrey starring Man on the Moon, a biopic about comedian and ever so legitimate wrestler Any Kaufman.  Kaufman was a bit before my time, but the little that I knew of him fascinated me even though I didn't necessarily enjoy everything he did.  I was a young teen, so obviously Jim Carrey was awesome.  I had a great time with that movie, although I will admit that it probably didn't stand up to the passage of time and my maturing tastes as well as I would hope.

The good news is that I will soon have a chance to revisit that film, as well as numerous other Milos Forman's movies.  This is an important voice in culture that was lost, and for the upcoming Movie Breakdown podcast we will be reviewing five of his movies.  I plan on reviewing each one of those hear on the blog and to talk about the significance to them, should they hold any.

Very sadly, Forman lost both parents in the holocaust when he was young.  The awful thing is that the passage of time takes more and more voices of that horrendous tragedy.  These are the people who were witness to an event that showed the worst of humanity.  Their perspectives are so crucially important, as their world view holds the scars as well as the urgent reminder of why this must never happen again.

Over the next few days, I look forward to getting a glimpse into the mind of this Czech director.  From what I know and remember, I am sure that there will be at least a take away or two from each movie.  My hope is that my humble blog and podcast will do justice to such an important figure in the modern history of story telling.

1 comment:

  1. The fact his name isn't huge today also shows how the passage of time chips away at the pop culture heavyweights. He was a major name in the 1970s and 1980s, and considered one of the new wave directors and powerhouses along with Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola.It is great to revisit these movies to really show his impact and incredible skill.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.