Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Google Showed Me How Creepy They Could Be



We all know that Google scoops up information on us.  Facebook is the same way.  They both provide a service that is free, and ultimately that makes the users the commodity, not the customer.  It is naive thinking to believe that we are actually the customer, because we are what makes these companies money.  The information that is collected on us is used to send advertisers our way.  If we were the customers, then we would be the ones giving money to Google and Facebook.

I deleted my Facebook profile a few years ago because I didn't like things the company was doing with tracking people across the internet, even if they didn't have a Facebook account.  As well, there was an experiment on unknowing users where news feeds were manipulated as part of a study to see the effects of social media on emotions.  Facebook is still in the news over how they collect and handle user information, and are now trying to bring facial recognition to Canada and the EU.  Of course, everyone will be a part of this unless you specifically opt out.

What really took me back a bit was an email that I recently received from Google.  While I imagine the people who thought this a good idea believed they were just nudging me into 'a better user experience,' what they did is the creepiest thing I have had show up in my inbox.

Google made me aware of the fact that they know exactly what brand of devices I own.  I am not sure where they got that information, but I do know that them having it is a look into my life that I never invited them into.  I understand that they can build a profile on me through web histories and things like that, but some information skimming at another level must have been done for them to know specifically what brand of devices I use.

The other thing in the email?  The fact that they know that I do not have the app.  Did they think it was a friendly idea to let me know that Google knows what is on my phone?  Should I think this is a welcome sort of email that sells me on their product?  Absolutely not.  I guess they would have a way of knowing that my account linked to their app, but did they really need to point out to me that they know?  I find this sort of thing disturbing.  Who would feel comfortable around a person who not only looks through their windows at night, but who lets them know the things they've discovered by doing so?  Nobody.  Yet, for some reason, tech companies think that this sort of thing is fine.

This is why I will be switching to a different email service.

Update: April 19 - A friend shared with me how easy it is for Google to find out what kind of device I am using.  I kind of knew that it must be a simple and routine thing they do.  Still, I find it creepy when someone let's me know details about me that I never shared with them.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, they did not have to do any work to access that information. All webmasters thanks to cookies know your ISP, location, device, web browser and even operating system. Even on my sites, I can figure out whenever someone pops on my site and on what they used to get there (though I do not know if they are eating a muffin or bagel). The only reason they know your other two devices is that you accessed through the same ISP, and they only know you don't have the app because you haven't accessed the site through it. Unfortunately, every email service will be able to access that same information and may even send you the same email some day. Welcome to the internet.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.