Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pompeii

Lately I have been really bad at doing this whole 'movie a day' thing.  A large part of that was working with a short story for a contest that had my mind completely bogged down for the last week.  It is not a great reason, or excuse, but I found it very hard to motivate myself to hop onto much else while the deadline for the contest was quickly approaching.  The piece is now completed, printed, and mailed off, so life can continue for me.


Leading up to the release of Pompeii, the trailers showed a movie that felt like Gladiator meets a volcano disaster movie (insert Dante’s Peak or Volcano) with hints of other films in there as well.  After seeing it I can easily confirm that it is exactly what I had expected, to the point of creating some boredom induced nausea, the kind that wants to erupt much in the same way that a digitally animated Mount Vesuvius wants to spew molten death over poor dialogue and an inanely simple love story.  Luckily for me, I was able to leave the theatre with nothing having erupted personally, but many aftershocks of cynicism and apathy were reverberating through my being.

It is not an awful movie.  Not awful to the point of making the audience mad for having their intelligence insulted (although I imagine there may be some people left feeling that way), and not horrible to the point of being laughably funny (there were a few extremely laughable scenes).  The problem with this film was its complete lack of energy and life, as it merely attempted to simply be a rehashing of stories and characters that we feel like we have seen many times before.  As the movie rolled out, my companion at the theatre decided to play a game where he would count the number of original scenes that he saw.  I believe that quest was bailed on, as I asked him how bored he was about halfway through, and he assured me he was not bored at all as his mind was on other more interesting and important things.  Like the poorly digitized bodies in ashes that bookmark the film (seriously, why could they not have simply built props?) this movie felt dead and buried to the point being a long and drawn out funeral service.

Playing the role of the lead was Kit Harrington, who is best known for his work in the popular series Game of Thrones.  Harrington played a slave who was an awesome gladiator, probably on account of his ability to strenuously flex his abdominal muscles in every scene he was in.  Harrington’s character was featured in a scene at the beginning of the movie which reminded me a lot of Conan the Barbarian where his village was overrun and he witnessed an evil man slay his family.  During the battle, he sees a man kicking ass, and I think we were to believe that witnessing this is what enabled him to fight later on in life.  It may not make great sense while you read it, but I am simply describing the schlock that was placed in front of me.  He then meets a prominent lady, played by Emily Browning, and we know that these two hot people are destined to fall in cliché love before running across the path of a dastardly volcano.

Everything that unfolds in this film is incredibly predictable, and it becomes clear as we are introduced to different characters and see developments happen that we will quickly be able to figure out just where the story is going.  It is not aided by scenes being completely lifted out of movies, such as scenes from Gladiator (it really liked stealing from that film), which eventually ground me down to a point of not really caring for any reason at all and found it hard to focus on viewing it from a critical standpoint.  The dialogue, much like the acting, is about as childish and basic as it gets, and the decisions of the characters begin to baffle onlookers who get tired of the fact that people seem to forget there is a volcano erupting and continually deviate from escaping with their lives to carry out pointless actions that serve the weak plot.

I won’t put much blame for this on the actors, but more so on the poor screenplay that was etched by Janet Scott Batchler, Lee Batchler, and Michael  Robert Johnson, which gave none of the talent anything to really work with.  On top of the flaccid story was the directorial work of Paul W.S. Anderson who enjoys a style over substance approach to his films, but seems to fall short in both categories from time to time.  In the case of Pompeii, this is one of those times.  Visually it was not a great movie, except for some of the long distance shots of the exploding mountain near the end of the film, and there was a great use of lackluster CGI for items that could have easily been props or models and ended up looking a lot better.  As well, he really wanted these characters to be as one dimensional as possible, with Harrington only ever delivering lines and emotions of bravery and never actually acting like a real person.

It is unfortunate, because I could go on and on, writing at long lengths different things about this film but it just would not be appropriate because there are so many other things that are better uses of my time.  I have been putting off this review for a number of days because I have been completely uninspired by the film, a movie that is uninspired itself.  It may have the clanging of swords and the ever-so-spectacular moments of people running away from poor special effects on a blue screen, but it has little more to add than just that.  I was bored watching it, and I am kind of bored sitting here writing about it.

Rating – 1.5 out of 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.