Thursday, January 9, 2014

Deane's Pick: That Thing You Do!



When someone recommends a movie to be reviewed, it leaves me in a sticky situation.  I want to be honest about the movie, but at the same time I do not want to say anything bad about it.  Throughout the first twenty minutes of That Thing You Do I was trying to think of various ways to write how I was feeling, and different, yet sensitive, approaches to voicing the opinions that were building.  It was not awful, or anywhere close to that, it just was not anything that was connecting to me personally and I was not really enjoying it.

The movie is about four young men from a small town in Pennsylvania who play their one original song at a talent show with a replacement drummer.  The drummer messes up and speeds up the timing, and the band has no choice but to go with it.  What ends up happening is the crowd falls in love with what they hear, and the band (The Oneders, pronounced the oh-knee-ders) slowly begins to develop some local fame.  Before they know it, they have a manager who lives out of his awesome trailer and are getting more and more gigs.  It is only a short time before they are meeting record label manager Mr. White (Tom Hanks) who takes the band higher and higher as they start to ascend the billboard charts.

While I did not connect with the movie at first, it was the energy and the personalities of the boys in the band that started to win me over as their excitement and energy grew with their success.  The movie, which was written and directed by Hanks, accomplished its task of taking that raw buzz that was swirling around them as they were fish out of water in a musical landscape that was constantly changing before they were ever able to acclimatize themselves.  The tale really is about lightning in a bottle happening to people who are not in a space or prepared to deal with what it would bring, and the movie never attempts to make them look anything but mortal.

The casting in this film was done very well as the boys in the band all physically looked great for the kind of band that would have been promoted during that time, and they were all able to handle their roles properly.  It was nice seeing Steve Zahn, who always makes me laugh in movies, in his role as the excitable and gambling guitarist.  Liv Tyler, who played the girlfriend of the lead singer, plays her part in a sweet and innocent way that brings a sincere heart to the boys that are caught up in the whirlwind.  Tom Hanks does a great job of playing their manager in a way that people may think of the typical studio executive, spewing out honey coated sayings, but really just about the contract and the numbers at the end of the day.  As well, this movie lets us see some talent in the early goings of their careers like Charlize Theron and a very brief view of Bryan Cranston before he became famous for cooking meth.

The real key to the movie is the song that the band plays.  Essentially, they are a one-hit-wonder type of band on a meteoric rise and only really ever perform the one song, so it had to be perfect.  Adam Schlesinger ended up getting nominated for an Oscar for the song That Thing You Do, and it was ideal for this movie.  It really is amazing because you hear the song so many times throughout the film, and it never gets to the point of getting on your nerves or getting old.  There is so much believability to this tune and the chances it would have enchanting audiences that really gives this film wings,

It is far from a perfect film, and did have some elements that I found to be a bit abrasive.  Jimmy, the lead singer, had a very controlling personality that you know right from the beginning will lead to trouble down the road.  His descent towards being a jerk happens fairly sharply and seems rather jagged against the rest of the movie.  There was nothing natural about how it happened, and it really stood out to me as forcing the plot along instead of being a part of it.  Near the end of the movie, character traits of other members of the band were all of a sudden accelerated as well, which did nothing to help the flow of the film.

There are other things that I felt were miss-steps, many that I could list, but ultimately they are all inconsequential.  I had started writing a list of those things as I watched it, but eventually I succumbed to the charm of the boys, and their youthful enthusiasm.  I don’t think this movie was ever trying to be perfect, it was just trying to catch that emotion.  Well, it succeeded in its task and won me over as I was tapping my feet along to this story of good natured boys in a world they dreamed about but where not ready for or made fore.

Rating – 3 out of 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.