Thursday, June 2, 2016

REVIEW: The Do-Over



As I sit here htikning about writing a review for Adam Sandler's latest film, The Do-Over, I figured that I would put the sae attention into the quality of the review as they put into the making of the film.  That means what I write is what I write..  No going back and editing things, leaving the mess where it lies and expecting that it will be good enough for general consumption.  That seems to be the approach that director Steven Brilll put into it, so it is the same effort that the review will get.  I would apologize about the spelling and grammar mistakes, but since there is no apology forthcoming from the makers of the film, I will follow suit.

The movie is about two best friends of former years who meet at a hgighschool reunion.  We have the geeky bank manager, Charlie (David Spade), and Max (Adam Sandler) who we will quickly come to understand is just  a bit of a dick.  Well, that is an understatement.  He is a giant knob.  Much like other Sandler movies, he pays someone who just isn't that relatable.  This is the case with Max, as he is a self-centred bucket of mean spirit, which is a good summary for the film proper.

With adam Sandler movies, you can generally make a list of things that you will expect to see and then check them off as they happen.  Will there be meanness towards children?  Check.  Will there be urniation jokes?  Check, there is urination sprayed everywhere.  Will there be massturbation jokes?  you betcha.  Will it make fun of people who look different?  Yeppers.

This is the problem with his films (or one of the problems with his films): they cater to the lowest of juvenile humour and do so in the same repeated ways.  Essentially it feels like if you have seen one of his recent films, you have seen them all.  There appears to be no effort really put into them, and that is something that netflix should be conscernded with.  They have an exclusive movie deal with Sandler, and so far what hwe have gotten is The Ridiculous 6 and this current pile of misguided humour in The Do-Over.

I suppose I have not talked at all about the plot, but what would be the point of that?  As the movie rolls along the plot becomes more convoluted and dumber with each sequence.  I am already writing at a dumbed down level right now, and I don't want to sink any deeper in the abyss that I have tread.

If you were looking for meaningful analysis about this movie, I am sorry but that is just not going to happen.  I have more important things to do right now, such as cut my fingernails.  Seriously, they are clicking on the keys of my laptop right now and it is driving me insane.  I should also pet my cat and then clean the litter box, in that order specifically.  Little John McClane does not need to have my sweaty, litter spattered fingers running through his bad-ass coat.

If you are a fan of Adam Sandler movies as a whole, I am sure you will like The Do-Over.  It is billed as action/comedy, although, if you ask me (and in a way you did by reading this), there is too little of either element to stick it in either genre.  If things like homophobic gags and scenes with sweaty testicles are not your thing, then you can just forget about watching this movie.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed how you did with a totally unproofread review, as my first drafts are far more jumbled than this. I'm less impressed with the homophobic, sexist, and cynical movie though.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.