Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Post of Procrastination

Staring at a blank page is not very fun.  Starting out with one can be the beginning of the most lush adventure to undertake, the empty canvas being nothing but a playground for possibilities and exploration.  However, when the writing slows down and the looming blankness of a page overtakes the feeling of accomplishment of how you got there, it loses the fun.  The excitement is gone.  Exploration becomes a long forgotten promise, and all that comes is frustration.

Currently I am sitting in neutral in the third act of a book that I started last spring.  Sixty six thousand words, an assortment of characters, the lines of morality being blurred, decisions and instinct leading to misdeeds and conflict... and now I am stuck.  What do they do next?  I know what the tension of the story is, but how do they move towards any kind of resolution.

I will admit that I don't necessarily have an ending in mind when I sit down and begin a story.  That comes later as I get to know the characters.  'Trust the characters,' that's what I believe.  As the plot, to use the over applied cliche, thickens, I get to know what the characters would do and the story writes itself.  I feel like a spectator who gets to watch it all unfold first hand as it plays out and the words form together into something coherent.  At least I hope it's coherent.

This story is different.  I know who the main players are, I know how they would respond to situations, and I know what those situations need to be.  Getting them there, though, is turning out to be extremely tricky.  I am a blindfolded bus driver that is trying to let people off at the correct stops.  Instead of being able to just go ahead and do the task, I have done the safe thing and pulled over to the side of the road until I can see again.

But the safe thing to do is not always the best.  What if it turns out that I am just waiting for an idea that I will try and force and pry my characters into?  Then my story turns into the worst kind of schlock, when the people involved only exist to advance the plot.  Really, I would rather ingest the kitchen cleaning products that I just used (a perfect method and excuse for procrastination) than ruin my characters.  I would rather walk away from the story completely than destroy what has developed naturally throughout the tale.

As it is, the page I am working on is two paragraphs long and has been that way for a while.  I know that soon I am going to just have to roll the dice and try something, knowing that I will be able to go back and alter it later.  Until I take a gamble with what I have started, it will never be anything more than an incomplete dream.

1 comment:

  1. Taking a leap of faith can be a very scary thing. Just ask Indiana Jones in The Last Crusade. Follow his example, walk up to the precipice and step out to see what lies ahead. Dad

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.