Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jab We Met

Here it is, my first Bollywood review.  I found the process of reviewing a film that is shot in a style that I am completely unfamiliar with is quite the difficult process.  A true challenge indeed.  I must admit, I had written this review a few months back.  Today, well the last few days, have not been good days and that means not a lot of mental focus is available to thinking critically through a movie.  My hope is that I start having a few good days again, because I am getting a bit of a back log of quality films to review.



First off, consider it admitted by me that romantic comedies are not very high on my list of favourite genres.  Now, if I can be so bold as to throw a little confusion into the mix, I should state that well done romantic comedies are very high on my list of favourite movies.  I have in the past likened rom-coms with horror movies, in that there are a lot made, they usually are quite poorly written and stick to well over-used tropes, and good ones come along very rarely.  A good romantic comedy entertains, but also has the ability to remind the audience of why love is such a powerful emotion.

Jab We Met is a 2007 Bollywood romantic comedy which is one of the rare movies that hangs on the formula and clichés and is still a delight to watch.  The lead actors fit their roles in a very sincere way, making their characters very believable and intriguing at the same time.  As well, the film had a definite charm and personality to it.  When aspects such as those are present, who cares if it relies on a formula because it is a treat nonetheless.

The movie follows the story of Aditya (Shahid Kapoor), a rich business executive whose life is in turmoil after the passing of his father, an affair from his mother, and the woman he loves is tying the knot with another gent.  Depressed, he wanders aimlessly and boards a train, destination unknown.  On the train he meets the ever so chatty Geet (Kareena Kapoor) who pesters him with verbiage, thus beginning their miss-adventures together.  It is not the typical ‘loath at first sight’, but it is darn close.
The performances by the leads is the strongest aspect of this film.  Geet is a girl who is annoyingly chatty, yet innocent and disarming at the same time, contrasting traits that seem very opposite and they are integrated seamlessly in Kareena Kapoor’s performance.  Shahid Kapoor portrays an emotionally distressed vessel extremely well, and as the film progresses he competently shows some very powerful emotions.

As I had admitted in the opening that I am not one who rapidly seeks out romantic comedies, I need also admit that song and dance not only confuse my being, but also lead to anger and disdain.  If I am facing complex circumstances, if life’s got me down and I am ‘oh so glum’, or if I am just feelin’ ‘top of the world’ kind of good, I do not ever have the urge to express or work through said issues through the mediums of song or dance.  I cannot understand why anyone would, and therefore do not understand the very foundation of musicals.  However, I did have a great time during the musical numbers in Jab We Met, mostly due to the locations and the vibrant colours of the dancer’s outfits.  I cannot tell you any of the lyrics to the songs because my eyes were glued on the visual candy of the scenery and were unable to track the subtitles, very high praise from a tone-deaf humbug such as myself.

It was not without its faults, however, which lead to a less than inspiring third act.  Unfortunately after having me absolutely hooked for the first hour and a half, Jab We Met turned to a cliché that is never salvageable, and that is the sit-com standby of having easily corrected miscommunication which serves as a vehicle for the plot.  The writing really did take a down turn as the situations were turning into ones that someone with a simple grasp of phrasing or comprehension of at least two multi-syllabic words could handily avoid.  It left me feeling quite disconnected to the film for a solid forty minutes or so, something that a little more script polishing could have taken care of.

That aside, the movie was a treat.  I had never witnessed a Bollywood movie before, and this was a great introduction to it.  It was charming, hilarious, and even though it had a bit of a bed pooping, it ended with some solid emotional impact.  I cannot praise the actors enough, as they took a by the numbers comedy and gave it heart and substance.

Rating - 3 out of 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.