Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Parents Come For Dinner and 'It's A Disaster'

Well, exactly as the title stated, my parents came over for dinner and the movie being reviewed tonight is It's A Disaster because it seems fitting enough.  Dinner was not a disaster at all, as we rocked a fun big salad.  What makes the movie appropriate is the setting of the film.  And before I continue, it is needed that I admit a long day at work with a mild anxiety attack, prepping dinner, extroverting, and all of that other stuff has left me with little mental awareness or time to get this review done.  Please forgive me if I start to wander off on tangents or cease to make sense.

It's a Disaster is a movie about a weekly Sunday couples brunch (there it is, the connecting factor is food with other folks), and where the movie really diverts from my dinner with my parents is the fact that the movie had a dirty bomb and my dinner had a cat.  While the guests are milling about they get word that a dirty bomb has gone off which leads to some doubt, denial, the search for a radio, and finally some action to secure the house they are in.

The movie stars Julia Stiles as Tracy, a first responder who won't leave the couples brunch to assist in the chaos from a major attack because she is not on call, and has brought her new boyfriend Glenn (played by David Cross).  Poor Tracy seems to have a hard time sticking with a guy for very long, as she claims she only attracts psychos.  As the group starts to process and deal with the information about their possible impending doom, they focus on the dysfunctionality of their relationships.

It may not sound like a comedy, but trust me when I say that it is a heck of a great one.  Well, the first half, at least.  The writing is very sharp, quick, and all of the humour lies in the dialogue.  The casting is great, and all actors are able to give performances that live up to the potential of the script.  Unfortuantely, when the movie switches gears in the second half the style of writing and the integration of humour seems to be greatly affected.  I do like when movies have different tones throughout, but this one presented a very frontloaded film where the second half was spent in nostalgia, remembering the fun of the first 45 minutes.

That said, it is definitely worth a watch.  I mean, you have a character who is concerned that they are not getting on the streets fast enough and that other people will already be out there forming motorcycle gangs and getting all the good food, and that by the time they finally leave the house all that will be left are re-fried beans and motor scooters.  It is a black comedy, and it was the first of four apocalyptic comedies this year.  Yessum, that's right.  For some reason we had a quartet of end of the world comedies in 2013.  Of that four, only two were wide release in theatres, The World's End and This is the End.  While It's a Disaster didn't get as much exposure as the others, it is the only one that is available on Netflix which makes it extremely easy for a lot of people to see.

I am about to digress, so perhaps I should wrap it up.  I am tired enough to be seeing double, but not tired enough to think that nachos are a bad idea.  I'll let you know the day that ever happens.  I am going to eat nachos now.

If there is ever a movie that you would be interested in me reviewing, you can shoot me an email and depending how free the movie is, I may just get around to it.

Sharknado is apparently replaying on Space on Friday night.  If someone was able to record that one for me, I would be indebted to you.

And I have already forgotten about my nachos, something I must remedy.

Have yourselves a great night.

Rating - 3 Stars

2 comments:

  1. It's a Disaster's first half humour is so strong because the characters all remind you of people we've had in our own lives but the personalities are amped up due to the impending end of the world. The social awkwardness, especially the ending of a relationship happening in front of everyone while another is trying to begin, is incredibly entertaining and for the first 40 minutes avoid any cliches or easy jokes. I also was a big fan of the nerd who was basing his strategy off previous movies and video games, and his own failing relationship was one many have likely encountered or seen. The films strength is how it probes into relationships and social etiquette and what happens when the curtain gets ripped off and the ugly sides some coming to the surface. It was a fresh film that unfortunately resorted to broad comedy in the second half, even though the last 10 minutes gets the film back into golden territory.

    I should also note that Sharknado is now on Netflix, which can end your quest for someone to tape it for you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely dead on about the relationship aspect of this movie, and seeing the dynamics of the mundane brunch but as the world around them is ending. The first half is nothing but comic gold. The geek who turns survivalist was one of the best parts of the movie.

      'We need to make a plan. Me and you, that's all that matters right now. I mean, Tracey could be an asset because she's a doctor, and maybe Buck knows who to use a rifle, but then again I don't know if that's just some mental association I'm making because his name is Buck.'

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.