Tuesday, January 8, 2019

They Aren't the Best Movies of the Year, But They're Still Pretty Darned Good



On The Movie Breakdown podcast that I co-host with Christopher Spicer we recorded our annual 'best of the year' episode.  Many amazing films were talked about, but there just wasn't enough time to mention everything.  There were so many wonderful flicks that came out in 2018, and while many didn't make my top ten or my honourable mentions list, they still need to get some shine.  So, here are some of the movies from this year that I still believe need to be seen.

Set It Up - For fans of romantic comedies, times have been dire.  In the past few decades there have been a few decent entries into the genre, but much of it has been generic and lifeless.  Recently we have been seeing some fresh air pumped in, and Claire Scanlon's Set It Up is the kind of formulaic story that will warm the hearts of romantic comedy lovers.  There are many cliches in this film, but it never feels like it is relying on them, and more-so paying homage to many of the tropes.

This is the equivalent of comfortable, old slippers that have a way to make you happy so easily. The chemistry between leads Zoey Deutch and Glen Powell is incredibly natural and charming.  These are characters that we enjoy being around, and we root for their inevitable love.  This movie breaks down no barriers, but it does remind us of the type of energy that can exist in this well-worn format.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before - This is another rom-com, but also in a coming of age tale.  Our protagonist Lara Jean (Lana Condor) has written and kept love letters for every boy she's had interest in.  Things do poorly for her when her sister sends the letters out to all of the boys who never knew she had these feelings.  There sure is some awkwardness, but there is a lot of sweet moments and humour.

Helping out the movie is the performance of Noah Centineo as Peter, a jock who pretends to date Lara Jean for a few reasons.  Centineo (who was also in this year's Sierra Burgess is a Loser) has a kind down to earth charisma that keeps him from being the typical dumb guy.  We know that they are destined to be with each other, and the moments they share convince us that we want them to be together.  Lana Condor proved she's got a bright future, and Noah Centineo has me convinced that there are great things in store for him.



Steel Rain - Do you remember the days of Cold War intrigue movies?  Do you remember when the fate of the world was at stake?  Possible nuclear war?  These movies are long gone, but this Korean film, like Set It Up, is a dip back into a genre that was once great.  Woo-seok Yang builds a story about an international incident between the two Koreas that has a chance to bring about nuclear holocaust.

It may not be the tightest film in the world, not needing to be the two hours and nineteen minutes that it is, but it is still very thrilling.  It is both a race against the clock movie and an action film.  The action sequences are spaced far apart, but they have great build up and are choreographed expertly.  There is one fight in particular in a hospital that had me begging for it to last longer.  This is a film that reminds us of a movie type that is long gone, but that can still be thrilling.

Isle of Dogs - Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs is a lovely tale.  It is an adventure, as some of his films are, and has an innocence, as almost all of his films have.  Dogs have been kicked out of Japan, sent to an island where a young boy travels to find his former companion.  There are many characters packed into this film, and the voice work fits perfectly with the world and the tone of the story.  Over the years, Anderson has created casts of ever increasing size and talent, and Isle of Dogs is one of the best lineups he's had.

There is a magic in both the animation style and the flat, matter of fact delivery of the actor's lines.  Anderson always creates such imaginative worlds, and of this I am a huge fan.  For those who have been in love with his films throughout his career, I can say with confidence that this movie will bring much joy.



The Endless - Of all of the films I am writing about, this one is the one that really feels like an independent film.  I am not sure about its budget, but I can guess that it's not much.  Money doesn't matter when you've got a great concept, though.  Directors and lead actors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead tell a tale of two brothers who escaped a doomsday cult as children, only to return as adults.

In a mind-screwing way, they begin to tease the audience with the reality in this film.  Before long, the two brothers are trapped in a supernatural, time warp.  Did all of it make sense?  Nope.  It really didn't need to.  Why should I understand things when the main characters don't have a clue as to what's happening?  The film has some great scenes, including an Easter egg for the few people who saw Resolution (an independent film that Chris and I reviewed in our first year of podcasting).  If the idea of psychological sci-fi sounds good to you, do yourself a favour and check this movie out/

Hearts Beat Loud - Chris' favourite movie of the year was A Star Is Born, and back in 2014 I was all doe eyed about Begin Again.  The similarity?  They are both about the artistic process, something which hits both of us personally.  While I haven't been able to see A Star is Born, I have seen Hearts Beat Loud, a terrific story about a father and daughter who enjoy jamming together.

It is a single parent tale, and the father is played by Nick Offerman in a standout performance.  To be honest, Offerman just doesn't have a huge range with his delivery.  His voice is fairly monotone, but that doesn't stop him one bit from giving as much emotion as anyone else.  I have enjoyed him as a comedian, and he has won me over as a multi-dimensional talent that can tackle many different roles.  This is a daddy-daughter film that will surely hit parents as there is such honest sweetness between Offerman and his daughter, played wonderfully by Kiersey Clemons.



The Domestics - I can't tell you how I found out about this film.  What corner of the internet I was travelling when I came across The Domestics is unknown, but this little film needed to get a mention. It is a post apocalyptic world, and a couple sets out on a journey.  What makes this film insane is that there are roving bands of baddies, all with different gimmicks.  Essentially, this is The Road meets The Warriors, and how the heck could that be bad?

The lunacy of this film had me from the beginning, and it really does have some interesting scenes.  Chris and I have crowed on and on about John Wick, and for fans of that film we get the concierge from The Continental in a small role.  There is a lot of creativity in this film, pumped full of some thrills and action as well.  There may be some unoriginal elements in this film, but if madness in the wasteland is up your alley, this movie needs to be seen.

NOTE: The Endless did make my honourable mentions list, but I forgot about that when I wrote this post.

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea how I allowed 2018 pass without seeing 'Isle of Dogs' considering I love Wes Anderson. It never came close to Brantford and I'm stingy on rentals since I spend so much on going to the theatre. It will need to be a 2019 watch. I also really wanted to see 'Hearts Beat Loud' and it being on this list means I have to track it down now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isle of Dogs is full of everything that makes Wes Anderson a special artist. I think you would really enjoy Hearts Beat Loud for both the creative element as well as the daddy/daughter side of it. It's a really sweet movie.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I'm smarter than a bat. I know this because I caught the little jerk bat that got in my apartment, before immediately and inadvertently bringing him back in. So maybe I'm not smarter than a bat.